Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Loop-d-Loop - The good, the bad, and the U-GU-LY

Ok so I know when I am considering buying a book and a kind, wonderful, generous blogger decides to show some projects and pics I am always so grateful. So, dear reader, here is whole story.

The book is definitely creative, and some projects are downright fabulous (see yesterday's post - LOVE THAT) others induce galic shoulder shrug, and yet others cause my hand to slap my forehead in disbelief.

First the good, these projects look very charming and challenging and I can't wait to work on them. I can see my self wearing these without huge sunglasses and a big hat to protect the innocent.


Now this I like Posted by Hello



This is nice but I wonder what it looks like with a tshirt or something underneath
Posted by Hello

Now these I wont say they are hideous because perhaps they just aren't my style. But honestly this guy's hair-do is enough to make me want to turn the page FAST. I wonder who was the stylist on the photo shoot, so that I can make sure he or she never comes within ten feet of my hair. I'm sorry that's probably mean, but people - this is not an attractive hairstyle for a man. And on a more practical note, it hides the sweater. See I'm not a bitch, I'm just looking out for the sweater.


Don't hate me because I'm beautiful Posted by Hello

This woman's hair, I'm not even gonna go there for fear of bad hair karma.... But seriously isn't the look on her face a little intimidating?


I'm gonna get medieval on your ass Posted by Hello

Now these are so odd, yet funny. In a few years they will be in Stitchy McYarnpant's Museum of Kitschy Stiches


Nice hammer pants Posted by Hello


Huh?? Posted by Hello


This is hot. I'm going to make one for my husband right now! Posted by Hello

Overall thumbs up on the book. I give a book a thumbs up if there are more than two things I would knit and this easily has 4.

In other news, I finally was able to give my Step Mother her mother's day gift. I made her the Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I actually didn't follow the pattern exactly, simply because I wasn't paying attention. I did the lace motif every 5th row instead of every 10th. I think it came out pretty nice and she seemed to like it.


Happy Mother's Day Posted by Hello

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a guy? I thought it was a girl at first glance.

I'll admit that I find most of those designs (with the exception of the man sweater) to be something REALLY interesting to knit, mainly because of the construction. But wearable? I agree only the very edgy could carry off wearing most of those knits. If I could knit those AND find someone with that edge to wear those garments successfully, I'd SO be there :-)

May 12, 2005 3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elle a l'air vraiment d'apprécier le cadeau.

May 12, 2005 5:37 AM  
Blogger Big Apple Knitting said...

Maribel - merci, oui elle était très heureuse de recevoir quelque chose faite juste pour elle

Becky- I'm sure you would be able to make a couple of your nifty pattern adjustments and make it wearable. You'd be the most avant-guard dresser in all of Lyon. :)

May 12, 2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love the sweater at the top with the leaf patterns (this is also in the latest Interweave Knits), but I wish it wasn't in such bulky yarn. So unflattering unless you are very slim.
It does have some creative design though!

May 12, 2005 10:21 AM  
Blogger Big Apple Knitting said...

Hi Elizabeth- Yeah I definitely lean towards the less bulky yarns myself. I am petite and thin and these types of sweaters aren't flattering even then. I end up looking like a dwarf wearing a sac. I had no idea this sweater was in the latest IK!!

May 12, 2005 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your commentary about Loop-d-loop. I also have mixed feelings about the book. Some designs are cute, but some are soooo wrong!

May 12, 2005 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what the designer was thinking. Especially with that green neck-thing... No man would wear that. Except, of course, the model being paid to :)

Re: you last post, my boyfriend is completely obsessed with "Wow" too. He needs at least a few hours a night of solid play time to get his "fix". He's a video game tester by day, but he'll never get enough!

How is the 4-ply cotton to work with? There are a few projects in the new Rowan I'd like to make that require it, and am wondering what you think.

May 12, 2005 2:45 PM  
Blogger Big Apple Knitting said...

OMG your boyfriend is a video game tester. My husband would be GREEN with envy. The only good thing about WOW is that I get to knit and watch whatever I want on tv LOL.

This is my first time using the Rowan 4Ply and I really like working with it. It isn't too splity, it looks really good even after ripping like 4 times. I actually liked it so much I ordered some more off ebay from my fav seller - Jannette's Rare Yarns.

May 12, 2005 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home